Wednesday 9 May 2012

Movie Power


I am busy reading a book called ‘Reel Fulfillment’ . Its about transforming your life through the ability to watch movies. I Love watching movies and that is why I decided to read this book.  It consists of lessons that you learn from watching or rather becoming part of the movie and then there are exercises that you have to complete as well. I have not done any of it, just reading the book at this point. I actually don’t have time to do the rest.
But all of this made me think again about a post that I made many years ago on DeviantArt. (For those unenlightened among us, this is a website where you have like a mini blog) In it I spoke about the one ring that rules them all. No I realize that now all the gay boys are getting excited. So let me explain first. Tolkien tells us about a ring that is so powerful that it can conquer all. That it can consume its owner. Take away all rational thought. I mean look at Golem.
He tell us that this ring cannot be destroyed unless it is in the heart of the mountain where it was created. This ring has the ability to change people and to bend people to its will. All of this has a very familiar sound to it. Sounds almost like that small four letter word called ‘Love”.  What if Tolkien was telling us about love? What if the books he wrote was about the effects of love on people or the effects that a love gone sour has on people. I am not saying that I am correct or that, that  is what  it was supposed to be. I am just giving my opinion and as Mel said to me last night “you are entitled to your opinion”.
What then are all of these movies that we watch really about? Do you think that the writer just sits down and starts writing a story or maybe he plots the psychology of the story first and then writes something to go with that theme. Do these creators really just write movies to make money or do they do it to really help the people that will be watching it? Do they plan for these movies to be therapeutic?
Why is it that we get so into it and so emotional when watching these movies? Because we are faced with issues that we ourselves face in our own lives but this time round you are a spectator. You don’t have to take responsibility for anything that happens and because the situation is so close to your own heart you can give sympathy, empathy, understanding and even tears to characters that are experiencing the same things that you are struggling with in your life. What ‘Reel Fulfillment’ does is to help you see that you are watching a movie about yourself really and the same way you are helping the character in the movie to deal with their issues, should you now help yourself. But there are specific movies that you have to watch based on different issues.
To me Lord of the Rings would most certainly have to do with the ability to deal and face a relationship that has turned into a relationshit.

Mwah!

No comments:

Post a Comment