Wednesday 17 August 2011

Krishna Consciousness or is it just Jesus worship?

Let me just start by saying that I am a Pagan man. My Patrons happen to be all from the Hindu pantheon and so I have incorporated many Hindu aspects into my private practice. Note Hindu and not Krishna Consciousness.

As previously stated, I am once again reading the Bhagavat-Gita. The last time I read it I must have been 14 and most of it just went ‘woosh’ over my head. It is a lovely book with, well I suppose to some people it could be great lessons, but in principal I have issues with the Krishna Consciousness movement that was made popular by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivendanta Swami Prabhupada. Here is my issue. Please note that I am not going out of my way here to disrespect the faith I am simply exorcising my constitutional right to freedom of speech, and that speech is based on what I think, feel or have experienced.
Krishna and his Avatars
Every single page states that Krishna is the Supreme Godhead.  Reading it is almost brainwash like. It is as if, if after 602 pages on every page about twice it is said to you that Krishna is the Supreme Being, you will believe it. Or maybe that is just their modus operands. Krishna is the Supreme Being.
Then in the beginning of the Gita it speaks of the conversations between Krishna and his most devoted servant Arjuna. Krishna is the Supreme Being.
We are told that Even though Arjuna serves Krishna, due to his loyalty Krishna also serves Arjuna. At one point Arjuna does not want to carry on with the battle that will take place on the fields of Kuruksetra, because he fears fro what will happen to the families of the men that will be killed in battle.  He pleads with Krishna that there does not need to be a war and that Krishna being the Supreme Lord can end this. Krishna however calls Arjuna weak and impure and demands that blood must be spilled. Krishna is the Supreme Being.
The Gita says that women are subservient to men and that women are prone to be misled and to degradation and of course adultery. It says that women needs men to keep them in line and to make sure that they do not sin, for such will disgrace the family. Krishna is the Supreme Being.
To me all of this sounds very much like another faith that I cannot follow. It must be understood that Krishna was not always the Supreme being. Yes the worship of Krishna goes back to the 4th century BC. As a matter of fact some people state that before the development of Krishnaism he was not even a God, but a Hero, much like Heracles. It is only the 16th century that the central Krishna ‘faith’ was established that elevated Krishna (one of the many Hindu Deities) to Supreme Godhead. Only in the 1960’s did the movement come to the west due to the now organization called the International Society for Krishna Consciousness.
Gay Kama Sutra as taught by the Vedic
In my opinion, Krishnaism (for lack of a better word) has taken a polytheistic spirituality and turned it into a monotheistic one. One God to rule them all.
In Hinduism there were three-mayor creator Gods, Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. In Krishnaism they are still there but they are thought of as avatars or servants of Krishna and all over India now, these are the images that you will see and read about. The avatars and servants of the Supreme being.
It is in that regard very similar to that other spirituality that I cannot belong to.
Krishna is the Supreme Being.

Another issue I have is that the Hindu faith is not only understanding of sex and sexually but they wrote the book on the matter, quite literally. The Kama Sutra has been written by the Vedic’s and it was originally understood that men and women could have homosexual relations. And we have not even touched the Tantra at this point. In Krishnaism, sex is forbidden. You have to be celibate and lets not even start to talk about homosexuality.
Krishna is the Supreme Being.

Mwah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment