Friday 31 August 2012

Toi Toi Troubles


Let me start off by saying that I am not travelled. I have not been overseas at all. I do however know so many people that have had the opportunity to do it. And from what they have told me and from I have read in papers and the internet I can assure you that by all measures, our country is not a 3rd world country. Okay maybe only our public transport system, but in general we can compete with most first world countries. Not too long ago you could not use a credit card in Europe to make normal purchases; it was cash or debit card. Our roads are apparently much better than most European countries and the list goes on of areas that we are very much on par, if not better than most first world countries.
There is however something that makes South Africa a bit…………shall we say dodge, besides for Mr. Julias Malema.
In South Africa we have a phenomena that is called the ‘Toi-Toi'. Let me explain this to our over seas guests. This is a form of a riotor protest but not quite as hectic/violent as a riot. It is when a whole bunch of people are extremely upset with their jobs or government or the never ending rise of petrol (gas) prices. What these unhappy people then do is they get together and they sing and dance. They have placards that state why they are unhappy and what should be done, but if it wasn’t for those you would have thought they were having a moerse party (Moerse is a South African word that means ‘very big’ or ‘huge’, pronounced moo{sound a cow makes} with an r and –si- a in simple).

The Urban Dictionary defines Toi Toi as:
“When a group of people, sometimes even hundreds or thousands, do a combination of singing, dancing and chanting to express unhappiness about something. In the southern part of africa, when the people are unhappy about something, usually something regarding the government, a group of people feeling strongly about the cause will organize a toi toi and take to the street. It usually gets alot of media attention. Most commonly performed by black people although in recent years white and coloured people have started joining in. A toi toi is often used as part as a protest”

It can however sometimes be very intimidating when they sing like traditional songs in Xhosa (one of our twelve, that’s right, twelve official languages). This is normally accompanied by dancing that involves serious stomping on the ground. But from a distance you would still think that it is a moerse party. When you are caught in it though it is a different matter. Let me explain.
When I was still working in Cape Towns CBD, I was on my way to Woolworths one lunch time. Now for those of you that know town, it is the Woolworths in St. George’s Mall. For those of you that does not know town, St. George’s Mall is in fact not a mall but a brick paved road, not for cars but for shopping. Anyway, as I got out of Woolwortsh, I suddenly found myself in a huge crowd of people. It was noisy beyond belief. Now I don’t like noisy, that is why my clubbing days are just about over. 
Being pushed and pulled in all directions I realized that I was in the middle of a Toi-Toi. I was completely outnumbered by the hundreds of people doing this Toi-Toi. They were dancing and singing down the road. Now as a kid we get taught that you stay away from such events because it is dangerous and that they do bad things to people who refuse to Toi-Toi with them. 
So I got scared. I tried to go back into Woolworths to just stay there until they had danced past but by now the crowd had pushed me to the centre and there was no way for to go anywhere but forward. Instinct kicked in. I can’t speak Xhosa to save my life. I can say a few things here and there but not even enough to help me in a sticky situation. There are many different tongue clicks in the language and its all very confusing. But in that moment I clicked my tongue as if I was being paid to do it.  I started moving my body and dancing and clicking my tongue, waving my arms around. I was protesting all the way. I remember a Mamma (a respectful term for an older African female) looking at me and frowning and saying something like “Eish, ooh these peepal.” So what do you do? I frowned back, throwing my fists in the air and confirmed with her “Eish, (tongue click) I know.” I protested that day for the first time in my life. I got into the spirit of things and it was kinda fun. Scary at first but all in all it was great fun. I have no fucking idea who I protested with, or what I protested against. I don’t know if the protesters got what they wanted as the moment we got to a point that I could actually turn off to go back to work I did. But that day, I sang and danced until God alone knew where I was.
This week, in the road where I work, there has been some Toi Toi action again. I don’t know what they are singing, I don’t know who they are or what the issues are, but I will tell you this much, I have been tempted to go join them.

Mwah!!

Here is a video to teach you how to Toi Toi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQkWMekXeQ&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment