Tuesday 13 September 2011

Make someone feel special

It is funny how music has the ability to completely control our emotions. When we are in a happy mood we like to listen to happy music. We jump up and down and we dance till the cows come home. When someone plays a sad song we comment about how we are going to slice our wrists and we also demand that a more ‘hip’ song be played. One that we can dance to and have fun on. But why? Because when that one sad song plays and we truly listen to it, it has the ability to completely change our mood. We go from being happy and full of life to a sad humanbeing sitting on a couch singing wholeheartedly with the artist. Sinead O’Connor “Nothing Compares”.
It is also rather amusing how we equate certain music with certain people or events. And every time we hear that song we then think of that event and or person. My first boyfriend told me that the song that made him think of me and miss me and love me and all that shit was "Die With You" by Blutengel. Now this is truly a beautiful song

“You do everything for me
Protect me from the shadows
You hold me when I'm falling
Chase all the bad dreams away
You hear me when I'm calling you
Wash away my tears
My blood is poisoned, my soul is aching
I'II die for you once more”

Is some of the lyrics and yet after we separated I could not listen to the song without getting pissed of at him and thinking that is a really fucked up song. However yesterday I heard the song again and for the first time in about three and a half years I was able to listen to the song and enjoy it. I did not spare him a single positive or negative thought. I simply enjoyed the song for the beautiful song that it is.
Certain friends have certain songs that remind them of each other. My friend Naomi and I will forever share the song “Simply the Best” and Catherine and I “What’s Going On” and Paula (no, this is not a drag queen name for Paul it is a female friend) “Whether Without You”, which was the long song that played in the coffee shop before she left for Kuwait. Thankfully she has returned again. Even though she is back I will forever think of that day in the coffee shop when that song plays.
Relationships also have songs. Paul and I have a song, it is “Rule the World” by Take That. When I phone his cell phone “The Music’s No Good Without you” plays as his personalized ringtone for me and when he phones me “You are my Sunshine” plays.
When I hear the song “Auld Lang Sein” I used to think of New Years but due to the first ‘Sex and the City’ movie it now makes me think of my true friends and how there is nothing I wont do for them.
When I hear “Have you Ever Seen the Rain” I think of my mom and when I hear “To Where You Are” I am bound to cry cuz I really miss her then. 
When all is said and done I really think that music is one the most powerful things on the planet. We are surrounded by it everywhere we go. In the shops, on the radios, when we are put on hold, in the shower (well don’t all people sing there?) and even in lifts.  And we are all so delighted when someone dedicates a song to us. It makes us feel special. So here is the challenge for this week. Pick 5 people that are special to you and dedicate a song to them. Make them feel special. Pay it forward, lets make everyone feel special.

Mwah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment