Friday 9 September 2011

Believe


In 1998, singer, songwriter, actress, director, Cher made a much needed come back with her album Believe. The RIAA certified it Quadruple Platinum on December 23, 1999, recognizing four million shipments in the United States only. In 1999 the album received three Grammy Awards nominations including "Record of the Year", "Best Pop Album" and winning "Best Dance Recording" for the single "Believe". The album has sold 20,000,000 copies world-wide which makes it her best-selling album, and also one of the best-selling albums of all time. But that is not the point of this blog.
The number one hit on that album also entitled "Believe" sings of having hope when it feels like your heart has been ripped out.

“No matter how hard I try
You keep pushing me aside
And I can't break through
There's no talking to you
It's so sad that you're leaving
It takes time to believe it
But after all is said and done
You're gonna be the lonely one, oh

Do you believe in life after love
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you're strong enough now,
Do you believe in life after love
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you're strong enough now”

Is just some of the words from the song. This, combined with a my oldest friend in world (meening that I have known the longest, [since we were 6 years old]) going through a very hard time in her relationship, made me rethink the human condition of needing love. We are just about all of us guilty of it. We all want it, we all want to have someone to share things with. Whether it is a friend or parent or sibling or parent, it is still love.
My boss (brilliant man that he is) one day told me that you have to live your life in such a way that you are only dependant on yourself. Those words together with the words of one of my friends (remember nothing in this universe is for certain) has stuck with me. Yes I am happy and I love Paul more than every breath that I take but as explained in a previous blog I am also a realist and knows that even if it is death that one day claims one of us, it wont last forever. And should that day come that we are no longer together, whether it is tomorrow or in 80 years from now, can I live without him. Am I able to survive. But again that is just one side of the coin. This song to me not only speaks of the physical but also of the emotional. Will I be ok if something happens that Paul and I are no longer together. I don’t know. I have no fucking idea. But here is what I do know. There is life after love, but it depends on us. We can either sit in a corner and sulk which is the natural thing to do, but it is also natural to bounce back at some point or other. Life does and will go on and we cannot let it pass us by like a movie scene of someone else’s life.
So to you my dear wonderful friend whom I love, I promise you that there is life after love and that even though it will be dark and miserable for a while it will also pass and things will become better. Life is what we make of it. Everything that happens to us is what we make of it.

Mwah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment