Tuesday 13 November 2018

Marvels Mightiest Heroe


I was an awkward kid. Awkward not because I got bullied or shit like that but awkward because I didn’t really fit anywhere. Something I think that is still the truth even as an adult. I seem to be able to only tick one or two items and the boxes that we as humans have to classify ourselves with.

When I was nine years old I discovered The X-Men. Before then I had read comics but that is all they were, comics, fun things to read as a kid. But when I was 9 I came to realise that comics were more than just fun things to read. As such I discovered what Marvel truly is and got to realise and “know” the man behind it. Stan Lee.


Last night while watching Old episodes of Faceoff and scrolling Instagram I saw that Stan Lee at age 95 had passed away. I never thought that this would affect me. But a part of me broke last night when I saw this news. Let me explain to you why.

Stan Lee created a world where it didn’t matter that you were different or weird. As a matter of fact in his universe being different and weird made you special. It made you have hope that there will be a time and place in which every person will be celebrated for who they are irrespective of race, creed, religion and all the other differences. Through his story telling he tackled issues that we all deal with every day and gave us guidelines and tit bits on how to deal with life.

My granny died when I was five years old. It was the first time I had to experience loss. But I was so young that I don’t think I even understood what was happening. My point is that I cannot say I had to deal with loss at that age because I had no fucqing idea in any way as to what was going on. Many years later in issue 100 of X-Factor Jamie Madrox (aka Multipleman) died. The rest of the team had to deal with loss and saw a shrink named Valarie Cooper. His loss to the team brought up not just the issue of his loss but showed how one issue can trigger so many past and current issues within us. Psychologically it was so well written and I believe that in those five issues (100 – 105) I for first time also dealt with loss. What it means and how it effects us as people.

The characters in his universe are real people and they face real life situations but in a way that we can relate to them and have belief and faith in ourselves, knowing that we can overcome any adversity that life throws at us.

No Stan Lee did not create the Marvel universe but he made it what it was. He put it on the map and included all of us in this amazing universe of his. I read this morning on a post on Instagram that was made by @mystic_moon_creations_ct: “Your universe, made ours better.” Never was a truer word spoken about this man.

I remember pretending to be Storm or Mystique with my friends playing in the local park and it helped me escape. Storms story of how the Shadow King possessed her helped me to deal with my own childhood molestation. It showed me that I was not to blame and that with being open and honest and seeking help I could overcome this. Interestingly she also taught me what it was to be not only a good Pagan but also a good leader. Of course I also had other influences, but these characters from this universe helped me along the way. It set a marker that shaped my life to points that I never thought would be possible.

When I started teaching Paganism, I wished I could have a school for gifted youngsters (Pagans) like Charles Xavier. I know people laughed at the idea and look at me today. I am the Arch-Priest of a successful withcraft academy where I have taught hundreds upon hundreds of people, both nationally and internationally.

Scott Summers (Cyclops) helped me to deal with my own issues that I had with my brother. For many years my brother and I did not see eye to eye and I learned that my issues were exactly that, my issues. Cyclops hated Havok (Alex Summers) and visa versa until they took the time to see each other and get to know each other for who they were. Today I can happily say that I love my brother beyond belief and will kill for him.

The story of Mystique taught me what a mothers love is and how a mother will do anything for her children even if it is unethical as per the standards of everyone else. My mother was herself in jail when I was 5 years old. We were dirt poor and she stole food to feed her kids. She was caught and sentenced.

I am not telling you all of this for you to feel sorry for me or pitty or any such shit. I don’t, so why should you? I am telling you to make you understand that in all these ways this man, with the use of his comics helped me through life. Of course there are many other examples, but I think you get the picture. He was more than just a comic book creator, he was a man that shaped millions of lives worldwide and all of us need to tip our hats in gratitude to him.

Personally I think the world needs a Stan Lee Day, where we can all, at least once a year, reflect on and remember the man that made our universe better.

No comments:

Post a Comment